Wednesday 29 July 2020

Glastonbury - Mystical Isle of Avalon

If you’ve ever been in the UK around midsummer, you cannot fail to have noticed the wall-to-wall media coverage of the Glastonbury Festival. Billed as one of the world's most famous music and performing arts festivals, it attracts some of the world’s biggest names who whip up a storm on the many stages. A couple of hundred thousand people spend up to a week getting alternately burnt to a crisp and drowned in mud as they camp out in the massive complex centred on Worthy farm. With a backdrop of the famous Tor, this “tented city” hosts a multitude of spectacular things to see and do over the long weekend.

 As does the town of Glastonbury itself. The high street is unlike any other, with every other shop dedicated to the weird, wacky and wonderful. Back in the early noughties, when I first came across the idea of a Magic Shop in Buffy, I longed for something similar over here. There are dozens of them, each with a slightly different focus on the craft, be it crystals, herbs, clothing or the various other equipment every good witch needs. Pure heaven!

Since my first visit in 2009, I've been completely under the spell. I walked the Tor twice on the day after my arrival, at 9am and 9pm, without knowing it was Beltane eve - until I met the drummers. And I met so many friendly, fascinating people, some of whom became good friends, like the owner of a bookshop who hosted my first signing down there, co-opting the services of a couple of real-live archers. They invited me to take part in a Reenactors' (Rennaisance) Fayre in Glastonbury where I saw my second real-live joust and set up stall next to a falconer. Good times.


The Chalice Well was completely enchanting - and my first encounter with Druid magic. So many enchanted places, but my favourite piccy is still this one from one of my many visits down there. Each part of the picture is a different plant, flower or seed, and the message speaks for itself.



No comments:

Post a Comment