Saturday 28 January 2023

1950s Top Thirteen - 1950, 51 & 52

If you were expecting a continuation of the 80s top thirteens, apologies. I will pick them up again when the fourth book is released. In the meantime, we'll be looking mostly at the 50s when Just in Time is partially set, then there's a wee surprise for the third book.

I have to confess I wasn’t around for all but the last 2 and a half months of the fifties, so these songs are mostly my Mum’s music – she was the one who bequeathed me my inability to function without music – and for that I thank her tremendously. Dad recons she had a radio in every room in the house and would switch them on as she moved from room to room. So when he came home, he’d go round the house switching most of them off. I’m proud to say I am my mother’s daughter – although mostly the music is on my phone and moves with me. I didn’t recognise many of the early 50s stuff - apart from Doris Day, Frankie Laine and Mario Lanza who were always playing! So here’s my list cobbled together from the first three years of the decade.

1. Nat King Cole - Mona Lisa - 06-50 – Capitol
2. Frankie Laine - Jezebel - 05-51 - Columbia
3. Mario Lanza - Because You're Mine - 11-52 - RCA Victor
4. Les Paul & Mary Ford - How High The Moon - 04-51 - Capitol
5. Billy Eckstine - My Foolish Heart - 05-50 - MGM
6. Doris Day - Bewitched - 06-50 - Columbia
7. Guy Lombardo & Royal Canadians - Enjoy Yourself (It's Later Than You Think) - 03-50 
8. Perry Como & Betty Hutton - A Bushel And A Peck - 11-50 - RCA Victor
9. Bing Crosby & The Andrews Sisters - Quicksilver - 03-50 - Decca
10. Mel Blanc - I Taut I Taw A Puddy Tat - 02-51 - Capitol
11. Nat King Cole - Too Young - 04-51 - Capitol
12. Mario Lanza - The Loveliest Night Of The Year - 05-51 - RCA Victor
13. Don Howard - Oh Happy Day - 12-52 - Essex

These are not so much bubbling under as representative of the top artists of the early fifties.
The Andrews Sisters - I Can't Dream, Can't I - (1949) - Decca
Vera Lynn - Auf Wiedersehn Sweetheart - 06-52 - London
Frankie Laine - High Noon - 08-52 - Columbia
Eddie Fisher - I'm Yours - 05-52 - RCA Victor
Peggy Lee - Lover - 07-52 - Decca

A curious phenomenon I noticed when trawling through the excellent lists from http://www.severing.nu/music/1950UK.html, is the number of occurrences of the same song by different artists within weeks of each other.
Take Rodgers and Hart’s Bewitched (Bothered and Bewildered), first sung on stage by Vivienne Segal on December 25, 1940, in the Broadway production of the musical Pal Joey. The songs were prevented from becoming popular standards because of a dispute resulting in thousands of popular songs being banned from radio play. The broadcasters refused to pay the fees that ASCAP imposed, and the situation wasn’t resolved until the late 1940s when the ban was lifted. In 1950, The Bill Snyder Orchestra released a version in April, Gordon Jenkins & His Orchestra released one in May. Then Columbia released the Doris Day version in June (apparently recorded the previous May), so that made three. This was not unusual throughout the rest of the decade and into the 60s. I never noticed this happening anything like as much in the decades I cared about the charts (mostly 70s, 80s).

No comments:

Post a Comment