Saturday 24 September 2022

1970s Top Thirteen Artists

So, having considered every year in the 70s, I did a quick analysis of how often each artist had a record in the top 20 during the decade – this (number) may not be absolutely accurate, but it certainly stacks up with what I remember.

My top thirteen 70s artists were:
Slade (17)
Queen (12)
David Bowie (16)
Thin Lizzy (10)
Stevie Wonder (10)
Earth, Wind & Fire (7)
Bee Gees (9)
Sweet (12)
ELO (15)
Jacksons (Including Michael) (18)
Fleetwood Mac (10)
Eagles (8)
Status Quo (14)

As ever, there’s a few names bubbling under who didn’t quite make it
Leo Sayer (9)
Gilbert O’Sullivan (8)
ABBA (17)
Police (7)
Roxy Music (11)
Mud (13)
Darts (8)

And a special mention to these guys who never brought out a track I didn’t like
Billy Joel (3)
Labi Siffre (2)
Alice Cooper (5)
Manfred Mann (4)
Mott the Hoople (4)
Suzi Quatro (6)
Santana (4)

To put it into perspective, here are some of the biggest names of the decade
Elton John (13)
Diana Ross (14)
Cliff Richard (9)
Elvis Presley (19)

Huge thanks to this fab website for taking a lot of the research strain out of it for me: http://www.severing.nu/music/1970UK.html


And here's a bunch of 70s bands someone put together - I only recognise a few, but I'm pretty sure an 80s band has snuck in there - can you spot them?

No comments:

Post a Comment